The Remarkable Story
Owing to its favourable geographical location, Piller relocates to Osterode am Harz, near Hannover, to a 9.6 hectares site. On 1st August 1919 and initially with only 18 employees, Piller continues to increase its production of electrically-driven fans.
The Piller industrial fans and other products are now well known outside of Germany and Piller survives the economical crises (inflation 1923 and worldwide economic crisis from 1929).
A second factory is built in Moringen Germany, 100km to the south of Hannover . Both factories expanded their production up to 1945.
In 1940 Piller changes its name to Anton Piller AG a limited company with 100% ownership by the Piller family. This legality makes it possible to attract investors, create new capital and extend production facilities further.
Up to 1945
In 1954, Hans Piller, the son of founder Anton Piller, takes over the management of the company resulting in further development to its structure and production range.
Between 1958 and 1972, in the interests of the company and its employees, Piller builds 100 company apartments in Osterode not far from the factory site. Today it is still referred to as the “Piller estate” although it was privatized in 1995.
Piller develops the first aircraft ground power supply system and frequency converter.
To manufacture systems for air-raid shelters Piller rents a branch factory in Duderstadt, near Hannover, which closed some 30 years later.
The Osterode’s manufacturing facility expands further and Hall 7 is built.
Piller develops the first rotary UPS system.
Piller develops the first 60Hz and 400Hz frequency converters and DC drives for submarines.
Piller develops the first brushless charging generators for submarines.
Piller UK, Piller's first European subsidiary company is founded located in Cirencester, England, where it still operates from today.
Up to 1980
Piller’s product range continues to expand and now includes aircraft ground power supply systems, frequency converters, UPS units, emergency power supply systems and full service backup on all products.1982
Piller develops the first rotary hybrid UPS system named UNIBLOCK.
Hans-Anton Piller, the grandson of Anton Piller, becomes the third generation of Piller to join the company – he is responsible for the technology section.
Piller develops a second generation of low noise fans for submarines.
Piller expands its world market position and subsidiary company Piller France, is founded situated in Nanterre.
Piller installs its first AWACS system for ground power supply.
Three further subsidiary companies are founded in Australia with its’ headquarters based in Sydney.
Piller develops the first fully digitally controlled static UPS system worldwide.
A modern administration block is built at the Osterode facility with a large reception area, meeting rooms and training school.
US subsidiary company, Piller Inc, is founded and offers the entire Piller product range including service.
Piller develops and installs the first electrically regulated step-down transformer.
Piller develops and installs the first water cooled static converters DC to 60Hz and 400Hz.
Piller develops and installs the first Diesel UPS system with long ride-through times.
Anton Piller KG changed its name to Piller GmbH and is acquired by the Lahmeyer AG, and now becomes part of the RWE Group.
Piller develops and installs the world’s largest kinetic energy store POWERBRIDGE as a battery replacement in high capacity UPS systems.
Piller now focus primarily on power supply activities and the industrial fan division, now considered non-core, is sold to an independent company who today still brand them under the Piller Industrial Fans name.
Piller sets the cornerstone for the static transfer switch and the APOTRANS series is launched.
Piller develops and installs the first water-cooled UPS system, globally recognised as an outstanding innovation in UPS technology.
Piller meets the challenges of the new millennium. Business with internet service providers and financial institutions expand and there is more demand for Piller UPS solutions. New products are ready to go into production and investment in stabilisation/load equalisation for both industrial and EDP (electronic data processing) applications is made.
In October 2000 the Osterode production capacity increases further with the erection of Hall 5. Piller is now well established as a global leader in its field.
Piller builds a modern Test & Assembly facility on a 4.4 hectares site for Diesel UPS in Bilshausen close to the Osterode factory to meet clients' growing needs for proven UPS solutions.
Subsidiary companies Piller Italia S.r.l. in Milan and Piller Iberica S.L.U. in Madrid are founded.
Piller is acquired from the RWE Group by Langley Holdings plc, a British privately owned multi disciplined global engineering group engaged in the supply of capital equipment to a wide range of industry. ( www.langleyholdings.com )
Piller manufactures the first static UPS system under their new AP Premium brand.
Piller develops and installs its first IP Bus UPS System.
Piller revolutionises the UPS market with further innovation of their rotary UPS systems and achieves worldwide the best capacity/footprint ratio (kVA/m2).
Piller installs the largest single Diesel UPS system in the world with 3000 kVA.
Piller develops its third generation of APOTRANS static transfer switch. Since its conception in 1997 more than 2500 of these systems have been installed globally.
Subsidiary companies Piller Power Singapore Pte. Ltd. was founded.
Today, Piller has approx. 750 employees worldwide with more than 500 in Germany. With global presence and more than 50 international representatives, Piller will continue to lead in UPS technology and maintain its position as a world leader.